Wednesday 15 June 2011

The Charlatans


The Charlatans are a band that I rediscovered in 2009 through my great friend Jules. I had always enjoyed listening to their songs on the radio and had a few of the big singles on various indie compilation albums. Who doesn't have "The Only One I Know" on some album somewhere in their collection? In the summer of 2009 I saw the band live for the first time at Guilfest and they blew me away. For the first time I heard their material in a completely new light and the live versions took everything to a new level. There is no doubt that live music at its best cannot be surpassed! I started to gradually listen to more and more of their material and in May 2010 I saw them at The Roundhouse doing the 20th anniversary tour of "Some Friendly" their debut album. That particular show was amazing as the place was rammed and from the front to the back people just were so into it so it was a joyous evening. And then in September 2010 the most amazing musical experience happened when myself and PW went along to see the band play in an Oxfam shop in Dalstin as part of the Oxjam gigs. Talk about intimate and apart from having a band play in your living this was about as close as you can get to a band. A few weeks later at the other end of the scale I saw the band at Brixton on the "Who We Touch" tour and a very different gig to Oxjam, but awesome as well.


In terms of choosing my favourite tracks well "Sproston Green" is a track to die for absolutely amazing. I love "My Beautiful Friend" probably my favourite single by the band and more recently "Oh Vanity" which is a belter.


2013 saw the devastating loss of the band's drummer, Jon Brookes, who passed away following a long battle after being diagnosed with a brain tumour in 2010. It is perhaps fitting that in 2015 the band have come back with a stunning new album, "Modern Nature", which stands as a wonderful tribute to Jon, and contains some of the very best music I have heard made by this band.



Its weird how you can be aware of a band and yet never really truly know them until a huge fan sets you on the right path. So this one is for you Jules :o)

1 comment:

  1. ahhhhhhhh The Charlatans! That Oxjam gig was the best ever gig of my life, and i can say thatnow knowing nothing will or can ever top it! i could have reached out and touched Tim Burgess, it was so so cool (but not forgetting the Fisherman, his jumper and his damn video camera in front of us!!!) Great post! But then you KNEW i would say that about my all time favourtie band in the world ever ever EVER etc! :)

    ReplyDelete